Nov 24, 2010

A Reason To Be Thankful

I don’t know about you but Thanksgiving has been many different things over my lifetime. For a long time it was a meal with my family and a time in school when we would make a turkey from the cut out of our hand with construction paper. As I got a bit older and realized what a big fan I was of pumpkin pie, I realized that it was a great meal with even better desserts!

Getting older new challenges were introduced to Thanksgiving, like having to learn to split the day between my parents and the in-laws. By no means was I opposed to having two fantastic meals in one day but the naps and turkey day football games became few and far between.

Of course the essentials of Thanksgiving were always present, like hearing the stories of the Pilgrims and the Indians sitting down for dinner together, celebrating the harvest. There was the almost painful tradition of going around the table and saying what we were thankful for (this became a bit easier when my thankfulness shifted from toys and pumpkin pie to a wonderful wife and loving family, and so on). Now that I am a bit older (and claim to be more mature) I am able to see the Thanksgiving holiday as more than just a meal that we eat together in the early afternoon so that we can be sure to be in line for the stores to open at 3:00, 4:00, or 5:00 am.

Thanksgiving is not just about expressing thanks for our parents, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and so on. It is the time that we are able to reflect and be thankful for our country and for those who have sacrificed, struggled, and given life and limb so that we could live in this country. I remember being so surprised when I realized that other countries didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving. I realized that as wonderful as those other countries may be, they don’t have our history and they don’t have the same reasons to celebrate as we do. If there is anything that seems to be lost recently is the idea of American exceptionalism, or the idea of the greatness of our country. By no means do I claim that our country is perfect (we are still governed by politicians), but I can’t think of another place that I would rather live.

Ronald Reagan made people remember that America is a great country and made it OK to be proud to be an American. We were told how American was the shining city on a hill, “a tall, proud city, built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God blessed, and teaming with people of all kinds, living in harmony and peace.” I can’t imagine a better picture of what America is and what America can be.
This is why I am thankful and the reason I celebrate Thanksgiving this year. I am thankful that the founders of this country were willing to stand their ground and be willing to sacrifice their wealth, influence, and their lives. I am thankful that they were willing to stand up to the World’s superpower and fight an impossible war. I am thankful that great leaders have stood up at to nudge our country in the right direction at the moments of important decision. I am thankful for men and women who have served our country and for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

What I am most thankful for is that I live in that shining city on a hill; A city whose foundation is built and still held up today by great men and women of every race and religion.  We may not see the light shining as bright today as it has in the past, but if we are willing to stand up and do our best to stand in the shoes of the great American patriots that have gone before us, that light can shine brighter than it ever has before!

Happy Thanksgiving and may God continue to bless America!

3 comments:

  1. Israel,
    I enjoyed your article - well said! I to am very thankful that I live in America and for all the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives so that we can be free and for those who are serving as I write and last but certainly not least for the veterans.
    Jessica Zirbes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Couldn't have said it better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Thanksgiving was originally celebrated to give thanks for the Constitution. I think giving thanks to the Indians was a nice first-grade investion.

    ReplyDelete